What Type of Marketer Do You Need for Each Growth Stage
Here are my thoughts on that question:
Marketers cannot be people who want only run tactics and live in the weeds.
In B2B SaaS, we need people who can diagnose, think holistically, connect the GTM function and learn what the customer wants.
< $𝟭𝗠 𝗔𝗥𝗥: Look for people who are passionate about what you are doing. Don't look for people who want to do a million things because that will end up with nothing being done. You are looking more for a focused executer who wishes to learn. An individual who's not thinking too far ahead in the day-to-day (but wants to go on a journey). Those who know limited resources mean it requires going deep in one or two channels.
$𝟮𝗠-$𝟭𝟬𝗠 𝗔𝗥𝗥: Marketers need to balance execution and strategy. It would help if you found someone with the right balance. An individual with the capacity to think ahead for scaling but realise it's a parallel process to achieve growth. They want to build something great in the future. However, they can get involved in tactics and hands-on execution in the short term. Even if not done before, a ground-up team builder must have the basic skills to deliver org growth. They should be obsessed with helping the customer achieve the impact they bought the product for and learning from them to scale marketing's impact. They'll want to work closely with customers.
>$𝟭𝟬𝗠 𝗔𝗥𝗥: Look for marketers who can execute proven processes. Look for a leader who can orchestrate and take teams to the next level. We don't want every sale to be like magical art. Marketing is repetitive, especially when you are over 10 million pounds. Once you've created a successful process, other marketers can repeat that success. A true category builder or brand builder will spend marketing money wisely on the proper ways to scale your awareness across the whole sales funnel.
• Below 1M ARR, look for marketers passionate about your product
• 2M-10M: look for business-oriented marketers who can balance strategy and execution
• Above 10M: look for marketers that can execute, scale teams and build on processes
(1) DUE DILIGENCE FOR INVESTORS & CEOs: A bespoke framework and capability model 'DEMAND KARMA' that delivers DD services to investors, VC firms and CEOs.
(2) ADVISORY: Retained advisory at funded scale-ups. A simple monthly fee. Helping CEOs build a scalable marketing machine. (Booked out until December)
(3) STRATEGY COACHING: Book time on my calendar to work through a standalone project or to get answers to your most pressing marketing strategy and execution questions.
If you're interested, let's jump on a call to see if you're a good fit.