Stop Wondering What Questions To Ask When Hiring a VP Marketing/ CMO
CEOs and investors often don't understand the nuts and bolts of marketing. It means when interviewing; it becomes a sort of "unknown unknown". To help on that front, I have collated a set of questions you should be asking.
GENERAL VP QUESTIONS
- What are the top 3 things we should upgrade in marketing?
- What “commit” did you hold in your last roles? How much of it did you meet?
- How have you worked with the sales team in the past?
- What should our marketing budget be?
- How big a team do we need?
- What have you done to increase win rates?
- What should we do to market to each of our top 3 segments?
- What agencies would you bring in to help us?
- How much should we focus on building up brand and product awareness?
- What sort of customer marketing should we do?
- How did the culture at your last company empower or disempower you?
- What were the characteristics of the best boss you’ve ever had?
- Describe how you’ve had a conflict with a co-worker.
- What kind of feedback do you expect in this role, and how often do you expect it
DEMAND GEN SKILLS
- What type of metrics did you use to measure your performance?
- Pretend you have a funnel showing 10,000 website visitors, 500 leads, 50 opportunities, and ten new enterprise customers. What are the levers or things you suggest to improve those marketing metrics?
- Keeping it high level, can you describe the lead management process at your current company; how did you model the marketing funnel, what are its different stages, and how is the handoff to the sales team (field, inside sales, SDR etc.)?
- What’s the conversion rate from marketing/automated generated lead to opportunity/sales qualified lead? And where in your marketing funnel do you think there is an opportunity for improvement?
- Do you measure your marketing sourced pipeline? If so, how much of the marketing team generates a month, and what per cent of the sales pipeline does this represent?
- How much time does it take, on average, for a marketing-qualified lead to convert into an opportunity or sales-qualified lead? How do you work with the sales team and inside sales team? How compliant are they with the SLA? What feedback do they have on the process?
- What’s your cost per opportunity?
- What do you think about campaigns? What’s your framework for developing campaigns? What are some of the main/overarching campaigns running currently at your company?
- Can you describe your marketing campaign planning process?
- How is your team at your current company organised, and why?
- How do you build your marketing budget and allocate your marketing mix?
- What are your target customer segments?
- How do you set goals for yourself, your team, and team members, and what do these goals look like?
HAPPY HIRING :)